Name:

Lee Degenstein has covered the financial markets for print and broadcast media for more than 15 years. Mr. Degenstein was also the news director and morning anchor at two major radio stations in New Jersey. He has been a reporter/contributor to United Press International, The Associated Press, The Mutual Broadcasting System and New York 1 News. A former winner of the Associated Press award for 'best business story' he lives and works in New York City. Lee can be reached by email at: lee723@verizon.net

Monday, May 14, 2007

MAN’S BEST FRIEND & MAN

May 2007

Simply put, I love dogs but not their owners. Maybe it’s that I am getting old and cranky but some dog owners are incredibly inconsiderate of humans when it comes to their pets. Let me explain.

I have never owned a dog so it’s hard for me to understand why some dog owners allow their pet’s free reign in the streets. For example, we have all seen these new leashes that stretch all the way across the sidewalk. Aside from the fact that they are actually illegal within the confines of New York City, some pet owners feel it’s OK if Bowser takes up the entire width of the sidewalk while being walked. This of course forces the rest of us to maneuver quickly so as not to trip over the leash or dog. I am here to tell you it’s not OK.

One of the best things former New York City Mayor Edward I Koch ever did was to enact the “Pooper Scooper” law back in the 1980’s. The law forced dog owners to pick up their dog’s poop after it was smattered all over the sidewalk. Before that law was enacted, walking down a New York City street was much like navigating through a mine field.

In order to make up for this inconvenience, some pet owners seem to think it is alright to allow their dog to pee on your car tire or worse yet on your car fender or door. Again, let me be the first to say it’s not OK.

I was once walking toward my car, only to see a dog relieving itself on the front tire and fender of my car. I politely asked the woman why she was allowing her dog to pee on my car. While I am still waiting for an answer, I wonder if she would like it if I followed her home and urinated on her car or better yet living room sofa.

Have you ever been in an elevator with a dog and it jumps up and licks you, or puts its paws or wet mouth all over you? Suddenly you notice that your pants have paw prints all them. It’s worse for women who all too many times have had their stockings ripped apart after a dog claws at their legs. It makes me glad that I stopped wearing stockings years ago. Invariably, the pet owner smiles as if to say my dog must smell something on you, or isn’t he cute? I assure you this is not my idea of cute, especially in light of the fact that dogs like to smell the poop and butts of other dogs in the street.

Call me crazy, but I do not appreciate being licked by a dog that has just come in from its walk after sampling nearly every other canine rear end available in the neighborhood. I wonder what these dog owners would do if someone spat on their dog. Isn’t it really the same thing?

During the holiday season, a Christmas tree salesman told me that a woman allowed her dog to pee on some of his Christmas trees. When the salesman asked why the woman would permit her dog to pee on the trees she responded by saying, “that’s what dogs do, pee on trees”. Now I don’t know about you, but I just assume not have a Christmas tree in my living room that some dog relieved himself on.

The answer to this is quite simple. It’s clearly is a matter of consideration and the idea of NOT putting your dog’s comfort before the rights and comfort of tax paying citizens without dogs. WOOF!


Lee Degenstein has covered the financial markets for print and broadcast media for more than 15 years. Mr. Degenstein was also the news director and morning anchor at two major radio stations in New Jersey. He has been a reporter/contributor to United Press International, The Associated Press, The Mutual Broadcasting System and New York 1 News. A winner of the Associated Press award for 'best business story' he lives and works in New York City. Mr. Degenstein can be reached by email at:
lee723@verizon.net
© Copyright 2007, Lee Degenstein.
All rights reserved
www.leereports.blogspot.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home